Monday, August 1, 2011

The Writing Class

Surely I can write every day this month about fiction.

I've never wanted to write fiction but it is what I love to read.

I am currently reading The Writing Class by Jincy Willett. It's a mystery, my genre, filled with information about writing fiction.

The story takes place primarily in an evening adult education "fiction writing" classroom, a perfect setting for a diverse group of people with nothing in common but the desire to write. The class is taught by a critically acclaimed published but not popular author, Amy Gallup.

The stories the students write, the classroom critiques and Amy's comments contain nuggets of gold for honing fiction writing skills. It is also very entertaining reading.

What's the mystery? One of the students is a sicko, writing an extra critique, both vulgar and threatening, for each student's short story.

What are you reading right now?

.



No comments: