Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Undead and Unwed

Where do I get my reading material? From library patrons, of course. My library doesn't have any of the books in this series. We, as a general rule, don't buy mass market paperbacks. The patron telling me about these books as she filled out an Inter-Library Loan form convinced me to taste a bit of MaryJanice Davidson's "Queen Betsy" series.

I read the first book in the series (got it through Inter-library Loan myself) and thought I probably wouldn't read any more. It was fun, I laughed, it had exciting parts but there wasn't any real mystery to it. It just wasn't meaty enough.

But since I turned the book back into the library, I've started missing Betsy (AKA: Elizabeth Taylor). I wonder what antics she'll be up to next. Did we become friends without me knowing it? I'll probably read the whole series.

I don't care for chick lit, romance novels or vampires (I read 1/3 of Twilight and took it back to the library). This book has been called all three. There must be something else about it that got under my skin. A Booklist review included, "Sexy, steamy, and laugh-out-loud funny, Davidson's chick-lit foray into the paranormal is delightful."

Whatever the reason, Betsy is like a goofy, offbeat friend who is fun to be with and doesn't require much from you other than to enjoy her company.

Has anybody else read this? What did you think?



.

No comments: