Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Way I Read

Multitasking.

I used to read one book at a time. I kept it by my bed and read before I went to sleep.

Then I moved to rural Oklahoma where it's a 20-30 minute drive into "town" and I discovered audio books. Now I always have a book going in my car. It's a different reading experience, sometimes better. The Secret Life of Bees was richer read with a southern accent, something I wouldn't have conjured up myself. Jim Dale reading Harry Potter is amazing. If you've read the books and seen the movies and wish there were more, read the audio books. Maybe by the time you get through the seven books, J.K. will have written something new.

I used to carry a paperback book of short stories with me to read while waiting at doctor appointments, riding on a bus, standing in a long line... Now I carry my Kindle with an assortment of books to choose from. I have a few books on my iphone but it makes for such a small book that I don't use it much for reading. In a pinch though.

Next life changing/reading changing adventure, I joined a gym. While others listen to music, I listen to books on my iphone or on playaway devices from the library.

When I first starting doing this, my audio stories got blended together. The CD and playaway books were both mysteries, the main character was a strong woman in law enforcement and there was a man (FBI and lawyer) from another state getting in her way. Two supporting characters were both named Susan. I created in my mind a fabulous new story that's never been written. I had to sort the whole thing out so I could write a review on GoodReads.

WHAT am I currently reading?

Book: The Writing Class by Jincy Willett

Book on CD: Sweet Revenge by Diane Mott Davidson

Playaway: Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz

Kindle: Dead to Writes by Cathy Wiley

iphone: The Library by Scott Douglas and Andy Sweat

What are you reading?

No comments: