Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Embarrassing Situation (plus: your Christmas gift)

Jon's reply to my request to repost his email message:

Sure. Go for it. :-)

Jon

Merry Christmas to me!

Here it is, a reposting of Jon Morrow's email message:

----Original Message-----
From: Jon Morrow
Sent: Mon, Dec 20, 2010 2:47 am
Subject: Embarrassing situation (plus: your Christmas gift)

First, a quick confession:

Yesterday, I got caught doing something embarrassing.

With Christmas less than a week away, I still haven't bought any gifts for anyone, and I was beginning to think I was going to have to brave the shopping malls with all the other crazies. But then I noticed something:

The family Christmas tree is already loaded with gifts. Probably like five for each person. All the gifts also have those little cards saying who it's from and who it's for.

And that's when it occurred to me: why not just grab a pen and sign my name to a few of them, claiming the gift is also from me?

For one, five gifts should be enough for anyone, right? I mean, come on. You only need so many new sweaters and pairs of socks.

For two, the only other person in the house was my mother, who was cooking some Christmas cookies in the kitchen. So, nobody would even find out until Christmas.

For three, EASIEST CHRISTMAS SHOPPING EVER. No trips to the mall. No debt to pay off. No guilt about buying the wrong thing. Hell, I'll be as surprised as they are when they open the present.

It was brilliant. A perfect solution. So, I grabbed a pen and went to work.

Unfortunately, I was so enthralled with the idea that I missed the buzzer going off on the oven, signifying the cookies were done. So, in comes my mother with a tray of hot cookies, ready to offer me some, and she catches me in the act.

The end result: I'm off to the shopping mall to fight with all the crazies. (She also refused to give me any cookies.)

FOILED AGAIN.
But let's get to what's important: your Christmas gift.

Here I am, smarting over the failure of my brilliant scheme, and I get an email from Johnny Truant. For a Christmas special, he's offering to setup WordPress for anyone wanting to start a new blog, free of charge.

Check it out here: http://bit.ly/h7f1aK

My first thought is this is great for beginners. If you're thinking about launching a new blog but you're worried about doing all of the technical stuff, this totally takes care of that for you. And Johnny isn't even charging you anything.

But then this also occurs to me:

IT'S A SECOND CHANCE.

I can forward Johnny's gift over to you and totally take credit for it. It's the exact same thing as signing my name to the gifts underneath the tree, except this time, there's no one to stop me.

*evil laugh*

All joking aside though, this is really cool of Johnny. He's not paying me a dime to send this to you, and I'm really not sure exactly how he benefits from it, but you should take advantage of it while you can. He's only doing it through Thursday, the 23rd (lazy bastard doesn't want to work on Christmas), so you only have a few days.

Here's the link for all the details:

http://bit.ly/h7f1aK

So, that's all I've got. If you don't actually need a new blog setup, then I'm afraid you're out of luck with me this Christmas. I mean sure, I appreciate you and everything, but I haven't even bought a gift for my mother and father, you know? A guy can only do so much.

I'll do my best to make it up to you next year by helping you make your blog bigger and better than ever. 2011 is our year, right?
Right.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year,

Jon

PS: Don't you dare tell my mother about this. I still haven't given up on those cookies.

No comments: