Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dinner Theater

A collaboration between a Methodist Church and a Community Theater group resulted in an evening of holiday entertainment: It's a Wonderful Life, the Radio Show.

The show was an amazing adaptation for radio-on-stage by Tony Palermo. The stage replicated a radio studio and we, the audience, played the part of a live radio studio audience. What fun! The actors were impeccable ranging from small children to senior citizens. They brought this Christmas classic to life in a new medium. We laughed and cried with them and applauded when we were given the stage direction to do so.

But what would dinner theater be without the dinner? Another challenge on my part. The meal was served at 6:30 p.m. before the performance at 8:00 p.m. Church ladies know how to cook. They served us tuna noodle casserole with a blanket of cheese on top (reminded me of tuna lasagna), a tasty green bean almondine, a tossed green salad and a cranberry salad that tasted like dessert. For those who didn't consider the cranberries as dessert, there was pie of several varieties. Tea or water to drink and some of the best coffee, especially being served at a church. I asked what kind of coffee they used and was told Douwe Egberts. I should have asked where they buy it.

There was also a silent auction for the table decorations. Daughter Beth had her eye on the Joy to the World/Peace on Earth decoration so I put in a bid and I won! She paid for it and took it home. During intermission, the man running the lights came over to me and told me that during the performance the church's women's group texted him and asked him to make sure that I paid for the table decoration before I left. We both laughed. They had already been paid.

.




No comments: