Sunday, December 26, 2010

Boxing Day

Today isn't the official holiday, it isn't even a holiday at all in Oklahoma, but since it is a holiday somewhere, I'm going to celebrate.

I don't have any servants so there was no one to give gifts to. Tomorrow is the official holiday, it would be nice of me to leave a gift in my mailbox for the lady who delivers my mail. Beyond that, I pretty much serve myself.

My sister-in-law, my daughter and I took presents to aging relatives in Frederick. We found Norma Lee asleep. She wasn't feeling well this morning. The staff at her nursing home said she and several other residents stayed up well past midnight. Norma Lee got jittery and shaky so the doctor gave her a Valium at 10:15 a.m. and out she went. We were there at 3:00 p.m. and she was still too groggy to keep her eyes open.

We went to our next destination, Jean and Toby's. They were awake and chipper, both looking quite well and in good moods. We hadn't them our gifts. Toby looked at hers while Jean kept his held tightly in his hands. The presents were really secondary, it was our visit that brought them the most joy. Daryl, Roy and Mo arrived to fix Jean and Toby's back door which was a good segue for our departure.

Back at the nursing home we were able to raise Norma Lee from her sleep. She was still a little disoriented but at least she knew we were there and was able to visit and enjoy the company. We showered her with gifts and got her a much needed diet Coke as a bonus.

Owen and I walked the halls smiling and saying hello to other residents and then sat and watched the gold fish in the large aquarium at the entrance. We talked to several interesting characters there.

When it was supper time for Norma Lee, we left and went to Sonic for some sustenance before the drive home.

At home we found Gran rested and watching "The Sound of Music." We looked through Gran's old jewelry, some of which belonged to Grandam Dolly and Grandma Jewell. We got out old quilts and looked at crocheted baby blankets that Gran has made for future great-grand children.

I hope you had a fulfilling Boxing Day too.

No comments: