Thursday, December 9, 2010

Did You Know?

These are things you may already know, but I want to share them in case something might be new.

Fresh nutmeg. Nutmeg comes "fresh" in a spice bottle. I can't remember how much it costs, it may seem expensive, but there is a lot of nutmeg in those nuts and it lasts forever. You can get a special grating tool or just use the tiny holes on your regular grater when you want to use nutmeg in a recipe. Fresh is always more aromatic, it makes you feel good just to smell it, and I think it tastes better too.

Fresh ginger. A tip from Rachel Ray: you can store ginger root in your freezer. When you want ginger, slice off a bit and chop it up. Easy and tasty.

Pepper corns that come in their own grinder jar. How convenient is that? I love freshly ground pepper on food and this is just so easy. I also like easy.

Wheat Germ. Packed with fiber and iron and a plethora of vitamins, wheat germ is good for you. I sprinkle it on foods for a nutty taste. I put it in my omelet egg mix to make pseudo pancakes.

Non fat plain Greek Yogurt. Do you like sour cream? Try Greek Yogurt. It is much better than fat free sour cream. It's good as yogurt too. You can buy it with fruit and sugar already mixed in, but of course I add my own fruit and if needed some Splenda.

Fat Free Half and Half. Isn't that an oxymoron? It's got a nice creamy taste with zero fat. It does have the dreaded corn syrup in it and 1 g of sugar per 1 tablespoon (part of that is the natural sugar in the milk) so use it with that information in mind. It's great in a cup of coffee or poured over hot steel cut oatmeal.

Steel Cut Oatmeal. It takes longer to prepare steel cut oatmeal and it's more expensive so why bother? The taste is creamy with a nutty flavor, thick, rich and delicious. The nutritional benefits include B-vitamins, calcium protein and fiber. One cup of steel cut oats contains 8 g of insoluble fiber. (That's the fiber that flushes fat and cholesterol out of your body.) I cook my oatmeal in a small crock pot. I put the water and oats in the crock pot and let them warm up together. Steel cut oats are traditionally grown in Ireland. My tin of "Irish Oatmeal" comes with an Irish blessing: May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face.

100% pure pomegranate juice. Pomegranates are rich in antioxidants which can lower blood pressure, have a cancer fighting agent, and are beneficial to heart health. My favorite way to drink Pom juice is to add a little to my Merlot therefore increasing the antioxidant power of my red wine.

I do believe it's time to have my glass of pomerlot. What are your favorite healthy, tasty foods?

No comments: