Friday, July 16, 2010

Pets

I've been listening to a book called "Why My Next Husband Will be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman" by Lisa Scottoline. She loves animals. There's a chapter where she sees a chicken coop in a catalog and it's so cute (like the houses in monopoly) that she's gotta get one. And what's a chicken coop without chickens? She orders a dozen chicks, all girls. This book reads like blog posts and is funny and entertaining.

But back to the chickens. I just found out that my NaBloPoMo friend, Heather, has chickens on her farm. She has graciously written a blog post for me about her chickens complete with photos and a website about chickens.

My inspiration for chickens started a few years ago when my neighbor behind me had some beautiful chickens. They visited my house often and ate our bugs. I was forever grateful. That's the way I like having chickens, they're around eating bugs but I don't have to take care of them.

My neighbor's chickens are gone now. Maybe they moved to Muskogee with my neighbor when she got married and moved there herself. It looks like if I want chickens to eat my bugs, I'll have to get some of my own.

In response to the NaBloPoMo prompt: "If you could have ANY animal as a pet, what would it be?" I would like to ask, is the same person who will grant me the pet of my dreams also going to set up the chicken coop and buy the chicken feed?

No comments: