Saturday, July 10, 2010

NaBloPoMo Writing Prompts

I read back over the reading prompts provided on the National Blog Posting Month web site and I was intrigued by many. I wish I had written about some. And I thought, "I could answer that in a sentence or less." I'm going with the last one. It reminded me of those "forms" you receive occasionally in email. You get to read what your friend's favorite color is, where they were born and any number of other interesting trivia. Then you get to fill it out and send it back to your friend and to all the people in your address book.

Here are my short answers to a few of the writing prompts. You can leave your answers for me in a comment and we won't bother anybody in your address book.

July 6, 2010: Name one famous movie you've never seen. Why not?
Titanic. I like movies with a happy ending.

July 5, 2010: What's one thing you think it's worth spending money on?
Coffee.
What's one thing you always cheap out on?
Clothes, I always buy off season clothes on clearance sale. That way I have a new wardrobe when that season roles around again, and I'm never in style.

July 2, 2010: Take a random book, open it to a random page, and then post the passage that begins at the top left. If you want to go further, tell us if the passage you posted sheds any light on your life at present.
GIFTS OF PASSAGE by Amy Hollingsworth. I opened the book at random and the left hand page was blank.

June 28, 2010: Tell us everything you know about the day you were born.
My mom was knocked out/put to sleep/given drugs/feeling no pain and my dad was in the waiting room. This all happened in Great Bend, Kansas.

June 25, 2010: How do you feel about the name given to you at birth?
I did not like my name when I was younger. In elementary school there was a cartoon called "George of the Jungle." One of the characters was an Elephant named Sydney. Elementary boys couldn't pass up that one. Back then, Sydney was not a girl's name. In high school I got enrolled in boys PE and at college I was given a male roommate in the boys dorm. BUT, I have grown to appreciate my name because I was named after my Aunt Marilyn. Huh? My mom was two years older than Marilyn and could not say "Marilyn" so she called her sister. She couldn't say "sister" either, it came out Sidder. So Marilyn was always called Sydney. Marilyn died of polio the year before I was born. I was going to be named Sydney Jean (Sidney Gene) whether I was a girl or a boy. I like that I am connected to somebody else through my name. I passed the name on to my first born, Marilyn Jean. We call her Mari.

June 21, 2010:
What was the worst job you ever had?
I was a telephone solicitor for one day. We were selling magazines but posed it as a contest. "You can win a magazine subscription if you can answer this question correctly." Two of the three possible answers were correct and if they chose the wrong answer, our script said, "Are you sure you want to choose that answer?" When they got the answer right, "Congratulations! You've won a subscription. When should a representative come by to get you signed up?" Yeah, and get you to buy a bunch of other stuff too. I hated it and quit at the end of the day. I still do not like talking on the phone.

June 17, 2010: If you could take a train journey through any part of the world, where would you go?
Canada. I have friends who made that trip and it sounds divine. I've already traveled by train throughout Europe and rode the Orient Express with Agatha Christie.

June 14, 2010
What are the five best bands you've seen play live?
The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl, Bob Dylan at the Hollywood Bowl, The Rolling Stones at the Forum, Led Zelplin at the Forum, Jimi Hendrix at the Monterey Pop Festival, Ike and Tina Turner at the Monterey Pop Festival, Janis Joplin in Costa Mesa (before she was famous) and at the Filmore West, The Moody Blues somewhere in Berkley. This is three more than five, but really, who would I eliminate?

June 2, 2010: What's your favorite poem?
There's too many kids in this tub
There's too many elbows to scrub.
I just washed a behind
That I'm sure was not mine.
There's too many kids in this tub.
---Shel Silverstein

Now it's your turn. :~)

No comments: