Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Thursday Job

I love Thursdays at the public library. I show up at 1:00 and stay until 5:00. At 1:00 we start setting up tables and chairs for a craft program, then fill tables with craft supplies. Amanda comes down from Norman and at 2:00 teaches the craft. The rest of us are helpers. One week the craft is for teens, the next week it's for elementary age kids and the teens come to help.

A sampling of the teen crafts thus far are finger puppets (which I have turned into wine bottle toppers),










duct tape wallets,



and boats made from found material.








We made boats because the theme this Summer is “Make Waves at Your Library.” The found material consisted of bags and boxes of stuff donated by library staff and patrons.


Just looking at the tables full of donated items (empty containers, discarded toys, duct tape, beads, fabric, yarn, pipe cleaners, scrabble tiles, stickers, and oh so much more) brought on creative inspiration. The teenagers are amazing and so fun to be with.

Library staff usually stop by to see what we are doing. The Public Services librarian commented, “You get paid for doing this?” and the Library director said, “You people really know how to have fun.” I give this program a thumbs up and five stars.

At 4:00, craft time changes to Book Club and I go do my final hour at the reference desk. When it’s time to go home, I don’t even feel like I’ve been at work. Is that a great job, or what?

No comments: