Sunday, November 21, 2010

Who Reigns in Your Life?

Random thoughts on Christ the King/Reign of Christ Sunday. It's the end of the Christian year. Next Sunday is the beginning of Advent, a time of celebration and preparation for the birth of our Savior.

Christ the King is a ruler who serves and also a servant who rules. He isn't a man of theology but a man of action. He didn't pray for the sick and hungry, he healed and fed them.

So who rules your life? Do people make you angry? Are they ruling your life? Are you independent, self-assured and the ruler of your own destiny? I've come to believe that if I put my life in God's hands, then I am in the best of hands. God sees the big picture and knows what's down the road. I trust Him.

How can we see God? He is reflected in His creation but is not limited to that reflection. You can see Him in nature and you can see Him in other people, but he's oh so very much more.

If I look at people and see how they are different from me and consider them to be "other," then we can't have a reconciling relationship. We remain separated.

Who am I? White, female, 60. I'm a wife, a mother, a sister and a Grandma. I'm Christian, American, Republican. I live in Oklahoma and go to a Methodist church. I'm a librarian and a teacher. I write newsletters and blogs. I read and watch TV. I bet you can see some things about us that are the same, and probably some that are different. Focusing on the differences will only cause friction. Where's the unity in that?

If I look at you and see someone who was created in the image of God and if you can look at me and see the same, we are united and have something to build on.

Heaven, what will it be like? People were talking about it today in Sunday School. Some know exactly what to expect. Others aren't still have questions. The only thing I know for sure is that there will be surprises for everyone.

See you there!

No comments: