Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Book Fair


Do you remember how exciting it was when the book fair came to your school? Me neither. Maybe we didn’t have book fairs when I went to school. I remember weekly reader book order forms and signing up to get comic books over the summer, but I don’t remember a book fair.

Kids at my school anticipate a book fair like a visit from Santa. Only the book fair is real and they don't have to be good to come to it.

The book fair is a lot of work, although the company would tell you otherwise. I spent 5 hours at school over the weekend getting it set up and maybe a half hour on the phone learning about the new system. We have a cash register and a credit card machine that the “customer” signs on the screen. I’m feeling so high tech.

I ask parent volunteers to help with the book fair, so I volunteer my time too. I normally leave school at noon but have adjusted my other work schedule so I can stay the entire school day most days of the book fair. As if 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily wasn’t enough, I am having a parent night, 2 hours in the evening next Monday.

Why? The kids love it and it breaks up the school routine. Variety is the spice of life! But if I had a book budget, I wouldn't be having a book fair. I have ZERO money to spend on books so a book fair is a good way to get the books for the library that the kids want to read. How else was I going to get the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid?

.

No comments: