Friday, December 6, 2013

Advent Day 6

Hope

Romans 8:24-25 For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one also hope for what he sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it.

I've always wondered about the scripture verse I Corinthians 13:13 that says: In a word, there are three things that last forever: faith, hope and love; but the greatest of them all is love. (The New English Bible, the first Bible I read and reread). I wondered what we would be hoping for in heaven. I have the notion that heaven is a finalized place; a place that is, not a place that will be.  It make you wonder.

I think I've solved the mystery, and it's so simple.  When I looked up the verse online, the website had it listed in dozens of translations, most of which begin with the word "Now."

New American Standard:  But now faith, hope, love, abide...

Common English Bible:  Now faith, hope, and love remain...

King James Version:  And now abideth faith, hope, charity...

New International Version:  And now these three remain: faith, hope and love... 

New Revised Standard:  And now faith, hope, and love abide...

Lastly, the translation that states it most clearly and of which I have become so fond, The Message:  But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: 
Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.

Perhaps love is the greatest or best of the three because it is the only one that will remain after completeness.

As for Advent, faith, hope and love are all elements.

No comments: