Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas Traditions

If you don't start celebrating on the 4th Sunday before Christmas and continue to the 12th day after Christmas, you may not have some of the quirky traditions that have developed at my house.

Today I checked off another activity that I can do by myself, or as Owen would say, "On mine own." I have two nieces and two nephews and they all have birthdays in January. My tradition is to go to the Hallmark store after Christmas and buy them birthday cards and also stock up on Christmas goodies at 75% off. Besides four cards, today I got some Christmas cards for next year. I love being surprised in December when I open the box of never-been-used Christmas stuff. It's like opening a gift from myself.

I also bought a Christmas mug, cute! There is one thing I know to be true, you can never have too many mugs, Christmas or otherwise.

There's something in the Hallmark bag for Owen and me to do together next year: a magnetic countdown to Christmas calendar. I hope he'll enjoy doing it. I know I will. Plus, I'll have to make it a point to see him everyday in December. That's something to look forward to.

There's also a birthday surprise for one of my FRIENDS (NaBlo January theme). Narrowing it down a bit, my friend's birthday is in December. If you can guess who you are, be sure to ask me when your birthday rolls around, "Where is that birthday present you bought me at Hallmark?"

The remaining items in the bag are for Epiphany. Epiphany is the last day of our holiday celebration. We take advantage of after Christmas sales to get a final gift or two to exchange. No one is asked what they want. They get whatever seems appropriate and is on clearance sale. Epiphany is, after all, a commemoration of the Wise Men finally finding Jesus and disclosing that gentiles are called to worship Jesus too. The Wise Men didn't ask Jesus what he wanted and I don't know any two-year-old who would ask for gold, frankincense or myrrh.

I used to write a letter to my mom every week. I loved to write about bargains and successful shopping trips. She always made a positive comment in her weekly letter to me. She's been gone now nearly 10 years. Is that possible? I still miss her, and I thank you for sitting in for her, reading about my trip to Hallmark.

.


No comments: